Bob The brave.

Talk about your time in the Regiment, the KRH, Military Life, Equipment - Let's keep the good memories going.
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Bob The brave.

Post by Bill Bentley »

I'll likely get more stick for this post than for my many other less savoury posts, but what has to be has to be...

In a recent chat with Bob Harrison I learned that he has been more than a bit poorly of late and I want to give those who were not aware of this fact the chance to wish him a speedy recovery. I surely don't have to tell anyone how vital Bob's role has been in the establishment and maintenance of this site, which for those who don't use Facebook & Co., has been our main lifeline with the old regiment.

Thank you Bob and bless you !

Rahi and I both wish you a speedy recovery and a peaceful festive season. May the New Year bring that what you wish for yourself, no more and no less.
Arnie
Service details: Enlisted in 14th/20th King's Hussars on 2 Feb 1959.
Served Hohne and Rheindahlen 1959 - 1962
Libya 1962 Cyprus with C Sqn Dec 1963 - Feb 1964. Returned to Benghazi
then to Tripoli with B Sqn until Sep 1964. Left for Courses in NBC then to 7 Armoured Brigade till 1967.
Transferred to Intelligence Corps 67. First posting to Northern Ireland 67 - 70.
Singapore 70 - 71, Hong Kong 71 - 72. NI 72 - 74. NITAT (Northern Ireland Training and Advisory Team) 74 - 76. Berlin 76 - 79. Final Posting, Preston Int and Security Section. Stupidly Retired on 1 Feb 81, and emigrated to Australia.

Re: Bob The brave.

Post by Arnie »

Bob the Brave is the proper title for this topic.
Not only has he been a stalwart in the development and maintenance of this site but a true defender. and fighter for the cause.
I support Bill and Rahi in wishing you all the best for you especially and your family.
Have a full and prosperous New Year.

Arnie and Brenda :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
john kerwin
Service details: A sqn 14/20th Kings Hussars, 5th Troop and SHQ Troop. 1962 to 1966/7 and 2nd RTR, Benghazi tripoli cyprus perham down and omagh Ni

Post by john kerwin »

Hope you get well soon Bob. All the best to you and your family.
Pinky
Service details: 1979 JLR RAC. 14/20H then that other regiment. 1979-2003

Post by Pinky »

Hi there,
Wishing you a speedy and full recovery Bob.
All the best
Pinky
BrianH
Service details: Served 1967 - 1972
"B" Squadron
Inter Service Hovercraft Unit
"C" Squadron

Post by BrianH »

Want to wish Bob all the best for a speedy and full recovery. Hope you have a better New Year

All the very best
sammy

Post by sammy »

Bob, wishing you the very best of health, you are in our thoughts and prayers. Sammy and Sandy
BobH
Site Admin
Service details: DLOY - 1961 - 1966
14th/20th King's Hussars - 1966 - 1978
RAOC - 1978 - 1988

Post by BobH »

First I must thank you Bill and all for your very kind words.

Near-death Experience

My words - not those of the medicians - but I think it's worth passing on.

My health problems began in February with a heart attack, which was treated very well by the local hospital, resulting in a couple of stents being inserted and generally getting me back to something like 'normal' health.

But that was nothing compared to what was to come!!!

A couple of months ago I felt some discomfort in my limbs (arms & legs). Within a few days this had changed from discomfort to mild pain when going upstairs or carrying weighty objects. A few more days and the pain became severe! Within a week I couldn't move - use of my legs and arms was impossible without assistance and even greater pain.

My local GP held conversations with consultants at the hospital and they advised cessation in the taking of all currently prescribed medication. He arranged an ambulance and I was admitted into the Acute Medical Unit.

I spent several days in a hospital bed which is not pleasant, especially with a catheter fitted.

Investigations included Blood tests, x-rays, ultrasound scan and MRI scan, and the eventual conclusion was that I was being 'poisoned' by the Atorvastatin I had been taking (the dose had been increased on discharge after the heart attack) and this was causing liver shutdown, kidney shutdown, bladder hardening and a host of other organ ailments. I honestly believe that I was within two weeks of death if the statins had not been discontinued.

A couple of weeks later I had recovered enough to be allowed home. During the course of the illness my weight had fallen from around 11st 10lb to 8st 12lb. I'm eating well enough (within the constraints that a gluten-free diet allows) but have gained only a little weight to a steady 9st 5lb.

I have been very fortunate in having Linda take care of me, along with daughter Patricia and Fredi. Waggy and Jim Thomas have also been frequent visitors (with COVID restrictions observed). My GP keeps in close touch - he's been advised by the hospital to reinstate my Atorvastatin at a lower dosage but he has completely refused to do so - and I support him 100% in that.

I hope this serves as a warning to others. Take care and be careful with what you take!

Once again, thank you.
Bob Harrison

Westhoughton born and Warburtons bred
Michael Burgess
Service details: Boy's Sqn RAC 1956 B Sqn Berlin 1958. Stayed Regt Duty till 1990 then RAC Gunnery School till Xmas 2006. Completed 50years and 6 months service.

Post by Michael Burgess »

Hi Bob
Thanks for the info and so pleased you are recovering with Linda's help. You have got me worried now because I take statins daily but dont have any symptoms thank god.
Take care try and have an enjoyable Xmas
Mick/Marion
Pinky
Service details: 1979 JLR RAC. 14/20H then that other regiment. 1979-2003

Post by Pinky »

I know I'm younger than you lot but getting old is for the dogs.
Y'all take care now....
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A GREAT BIG HUSSAR TO YOU ALL.
Pinky
john kerwin
Service details: A sqn 14/20th Kings Hussars, 5th Troop and SHQ Troop. 1962 to 1966/7 and 2nd RTR, Benghazi tripoli cyprus perham down and omagh Ni

Post by john kerwin »

Like all old hawks,( some of us very old :D :D ). I would like to wish Bob and his family all the best. And may he be our leader on Noah's Arc for many years to come.
Happy Christmas Bob.