Garden in lockdown.

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
john kerwin
Service details: A sqn 14/20th Kings Hussars, 5th Troop and SHQ Troop. 1962 to 1966/7 and 2nd RTR, Benghazi tripoli cyprus perham down and omagh Ni

Garden in lockdown.

Post by john kerwin »

Since lockdown started we have spent a lot more time in the garden. And taken more notice of the wild life.
At the front of the house there has been 2 black birds nesting, Not good they fight like mad. But both have managed to rear chicks, that have now fledged, have also had sparrows and blue tits nesting. At the back of the house we have had house martins up in the eaves, and a wren set up home near the pond. All chicks fledged and fed in the garden,along with gold finch and other birds.
Then about 10 days ago. for no reason as I can see ?. Not a single bird, apart from the odd wood pigeon.
Has anyone any idea why they have all disappeared. And why the area now seems so empty of bird life. We still have frogs, toads and small rodents. So why no Birds ?
Arnie
Service details: Enlisted in 14th/20th King's Hussars on 2 Feb 1959.
Served Hohne and Rheindahlen 1959 - 1962
Libya 1962 Cyprus with C Sqn Dec 1963 - Feb 1964. Returned to Benghazi
then to Tripoli with B Sqn until Sep 1964. Left for Courses in NBC then to 7 Armoured Brigade till 1967.
Transferred to Intelligence Corps 67. First posting to Northern Ireland 67 - 70.
Singapore 70 - 71, Hong Kong 71 - 72. NI 72 - 74. NITAT (Northern Ireland Training and Advisory Team) 74 - 76. Berlin 76 - 79. Final Posting, Preston Int and Security Section. Stupidly Retired on 1 Feb 81, and emigrated to Australia.

Re: Garden in lockdown.

Post by Arnie »

John, contact David Attenborough or the local bird watching club. Ask a Liberal or a US Democrat it has to have been caused by Donald Trump!!!!

Arnie :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Post by Bill Bentley »

Hi guys nice to see you still active.

John,
wouldn't have thought you would get blue tits in summer, did you have a cold spell :lol:

Seriously, that's the sort of thing that got to us on our small-holding, the birds and the bees just disappearing with no obvious reason. I'm afraid I put it down to the local farmers inappropriate use of their Pesticides, Herbecides, Fungicides and Chemical Fertilizers. Also these days the seed itself is treated before planting and so the plant even 'sweats' poison, which the bees drink. It's not enough to kill them, they just get tipsy and can't find their way home, before running out of fuel, then they die of starvation and cold.

If a corn is not 'planted' under the earth the birds will eat it and that's enough to do them in. Unfortunately, like vultures, when one bird finds a worm (I mean a corn) they all fly down incase there are two and bingo, full house, or empty house in this case.

Other insects also drink the plants sweat and like the bees they get tipsy and so become easy prey for the birds. A dozen drugged up bugs will then kill the bird that ate them. It's a vicious circle which we can no longer break.

There has been a dramatic drop in the number of starlings for the past couple of years. Great for 'Cherry Pickers' ... until there's no one left to pollinate the buds.

The Krefeld study (a couple of years ago) claimed that in the past 27 years 75% of all bio masse (insects) had disappeared. That's one reason that we gave up and moved to Spain. If you can't stop it, you'd better get out of its way :?

Stay safe guys, I'm still spying on you :shock:

Arnie
then to Tripoli with B Sqn until Sep 1964. Left for Courses in NBC then to 7 Armoured Brigade till 1967.
Transferred to Intelligence Corps 67. First posting to Northern Ireland 67 - 70.
Singapore 70 - 71, Hong Kong 71 - 72. NI 72 - 74. NITAT (Northern Ireland Training and Advisory Team) 74 - 76. Berlin 76 - 79. Final Posting, Preston Int and Security Section. Stupidly Retired on 1 Feb 81, and emigrated to Australia.

Post by Arnie »

Bill, its fantastic to see you back,as knowledgable as ever, healthy we hope and enjoying the hot Spanish sun. By the way does your expertise run to giving me some advice as to how I can entice a couple of either swallows or house martins (don't know the difference) to migrate from our underground car park to my balcony which is on the second floor. I fear it will be impossible as their GPS is so strong that they come back each year to the car park. Problem is they shit over the tiles in the entrance to this garage and certain residents, all of them avowed Greenies, keep trying to remove them. I have defied all their efforts so far, even going to Bunnings and getting a long-handled scrubbing brush to keep the tiles clean. Having them on my balcony where they would be safe and protected is my aim. Any suggestions?

Brenda and I are looking forward to our summer arriving. We will be able to take our grandson down to the beach and swim in the sea, fun for him and exercise for us, and boy do we need it.

All members please keep safe and healthy.

Arnie and Brenda :D
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Post by Bill Bentley »

Bloody Hell Arnie,

we will make a tree hugger of you yet :lol: .

Swallows like a nice sheltered place, out of direct sunlight, but with an easy final flight approach. They love to swing on telegraph wires etc. so hang a washing line out if you can, it does not have to be long. They tend to nest not right up in the corner of an overhang, but lower down on an upright surface. It's easier for them to build a nest if you give them a starter help. In our old barn they attached their nest to almost anything, i.e. a protruding nail head, whatever. I sometimes nailed or screwed a small piece of wood, just an inch or two long, about six inches down on any upright. That should do the trick :D :D .

In our area House-martins were seldom so I have no eyes on experience with them.

Down in Spain Bee-catchers are the hit, beautiful colours and loud !
Woods 27
Service details: Served Jan 1975-Aug1987

Herford Cyprus Bovington Hohne Northern Ireland Catterick

Post by Woods 27 »

Bill.

You can tell if they are house-martins or not they normally whistle happy hour or caravan of love :lol: :lol: :lol:

YOU SIGN PHIL JONES :-( :-( :-( WE SIGN KUN AGUERO :-) :-) :-)
C.T.I.D. :-) :-) :-) ⓜⓒⓕⓒ I WAS THERE WHEN WE WERE SHIT ¿? ¿? ¿?
Woods 27
Service details: Served Jan 1975-Aug1987

Herford Cyprus Bovington Hohne Northern Ireland Catterick

Post by Woods 27 »

Bill.

You can tell if they are house-martins or not they normally whistle happy hour or caravan of love :lol: :lol: :lol:

YOU SIGN PHIL JONES :-( :-( :-( WE SIGN KUN AGUERO :-) :-) :-)
C.T.I.D. :-) :-) :-) ⓜⓒⓕⓒ I WAS THERE WHEN WE WERE SHIT ¿? ¿? ¿?
Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley »

Arnie,

you were in the Int Corps, can you de-code Tony's last (2) post for me :?: :?:
Arnie

Post by Arnie »

Hi Bill, sorry can't do that. My Name is Arnie Touring, not Alan Turing. He would have it de-coded in no time flat.
I rejected joining that side of the Int Corps because wherever that side was it was attached and no doubt subordinate to the Royal Signals. My worst nightmare, served in the NBC Int section in HQ 7 Armoured Brigade, in Soltau. First time served under them. When it comes to 'B/S the Bde of Guards have nothing on them. In fact, when I had finished my 2 yrs in NI in Jan 70 I was supposed to be posted to 9 Sig Regt in Rheindahlen. Boxes packed and shipped but I was going on a Course at Ashford, Depot of the Int Corps at the time. The position wasn't on the Crypt-analist side but as Security of the unit as a whole, cos they were and still are mighty Hush-hush. You know the thing GCHQ and all. When I got to Ashford I immediately went to see the Col in charge of Personnel to plead to be sent somewhere, anywhere else. Gave me the usual flannel about being picked specially for the job, blah blah blah. Went back to the barrack room fairly crest-fallen. There I met and introduced myself to another Cpl from Germany. It seems he had been sent to 9 Sigs by HQ Int and Sy, Rheindahlen, and was already in situ. I told him to get his arse over to Col Grey's office and tell him about the situation.
When he came back he said Col Grey wanted to see me. I broke some sort of record literally flying to his office. He opened the interview by saying where did I want go? I immediately said Singapore. Well as we have buggered you about I'll give you 2 yrs in Singapore followed by 2 yrs in Hong Kong.
Not seriously into Codes and Cyphers but still love to do Cryptic Crosswords.

Arnie :!: :!: :!: :!:
Pinky
Service details: 1979 JLR RAC. 14/20H then that other regiment. 1979-2003

Post by Pinky »

Howdy,
House Martins were a pop group in the 80's-90's, that's two of their most popular songs.
Who needs Alan Turing ?????
LOL
Pinky