Walking the Dogs.

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
Arnie
Service details: Enlisted in 14th/20th King's Hussars on 2 Feb 1959.
Served Hohne and Rheindahlen 1959 - 1962
Libya 1962 Cyprus with C Sqn Dec 1963 - Feb 1964. Returned to Benghazi
then to Tripoli with B Sqn until Sep 1964. Left for Courses in NBC then to 7 Armoured Brigade till 1967.
Transferred to Intelligence Corps 67. First posting to Northern Ireland 67 - 70.
Singapore 70 - 71, Hong Kong 71 - 72. NI 72 - 74. NITAT (Northern Ireland Training and Advisory Team) 74 - 76. Berlin 76 - 79. Final Posting, Preston Int and Security Section. Stupidly Retired on 1 Feb 81, and emigrated to Australia.

Walking the Dogs.

Post by Arnie »

Hi Bill,
I imagine in your new Spanish environment it is a great pleasure for you and Rahi to regularly walk your dogs, but you have no idea of how your contributions are missed on this site. Please come back and entertain us with your wise and welcome insights into how the world is progressing (or not progressing). They certainly give me pause for thoughts.
How are you getting on with your neighbours? And you were the only one who used to tell us how the Europeans, particularly the children of Angela were getting on. There is no doubt Boris put a spanner in the works.
Have you started to learn Spanish yet or did you already 'speaka de lingo'?

Via (Italian) con Dios. Sorry did not know how to spell 'via' in Spanish.

Arnie and Brenda :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
BobH
Site Admin
Service details: DLOY - 1961 - 1966
14th/20th King's Hussars - 1966 - 1978
RAOC - 1978 - 1988

Re: Walking the Dogs.

Post by BobH »

Arnie,

In my youth I loved visiting Spain; the weather, the wine, the sea, all very attractive. More recently I've been to Benidorm, Almeria and others and the place has lost (for me) much of its attraction. Spoilt by tourists and the demands they make for home comforts. Of course the 'real' Spain still exists and hopefully Bill and Rahi have found their haven.

Around 1970 I took a canoe team around Spain and what a difference it was then compared to now. We entered the country at a small Southern seaside village called Port Bau (from French Riviera) where the Paella was out of this world. Driving overnight via Barcelona we made our way to Asturias on the Northern coast and what a place! Ribadasella (where the canoe race was held), Gijon to watch a bullfight, and the local cider - unforgettable. I often wonder if that area has changed to the same degree.

ribadasella-1.jpg
ribadasella-1.jpg (218.77 KiB) Viewed 5366 times
ribadasella-2.jpg
ribadasella-2.jpg (179.53 KiB) Viewed 5366 times
ribadesella-3.jpg
ribadesella-3.jpg (140.18 KiB) Viewed 5366 times
Bob Harrison

Westhoughton born and Warburtons bred
Arnie
Service details: Enlisted in 14th/20th King's Hussars on 2 Feb 1959.
Served Hohne and Rheindahlen 1959 - 1962
Libya 1962 Cyprus with C Sqn Dec 1963 - Feb 1964. Returned to Benghazi
then to Tripoli with B Sqn until Sep 1964. Left for Courses in NBC then to 7 Armoured Brigade till 1967.
Transferred to Intelligence Corps 67. First posting to Northern Ireland 67 - 70.
Singapore 70 - 71, Hong Kong 71 - 72. NI 72 - 74. NITAT (Northern Ireland Training and Advisory Team) 74 - 76. Berlin 76 - 79. Final Posting, Preston Int and Security Section. Stupidly Retired on 1 Feb 81, and emigrated to Australia.

Post by Arnie »

Hi Bob,

never got to step foot in Spain, the nearest I got was to Gibraltar, when I and several members of NITAT(UK) went there to train the local Battalion which was due for a stint in NI, and no I wasn't in the SAS team that had an interesting weekend there a few years later. From the Riviera side the nearest I got was to a place called Cap d Adge, a nudist resort where I and one of my S/Sgts and families went from Berlin in our caravans in 1977 or 78. Never tried Paella there but am going to try and cook a good one in my own kitchen!!!

Happy days

Arnie and Brenda :D :D :D :D :D :D
Pinky
Service details: 1979 JLR RAC. 14/20H then that other regiment. 1979-2003

Post by Pinky »

Howdy,
I too have never been to Spain. My family holidays as a kid were either Butlins or Pontins.....both I recall being excellent family holiday camps........... "Morning campers".
I did however go on B Sqns canoeing adventure to Denmark in about 1982. George Kirk and Dave Little were the SNCO's in charge, and it was fantastic. What happened in Denmark - stays in Denmark. (no officers).
Bill your 'up'.
ATB
Pinky
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Post by Bill Bentley »

Sorry to be disappointing anybody, either by not being 'locked up' during 'Lock down' or simply by not having been online.

Spain certainly has its charm and I should love to have done the canoe race/ tour above, but those days are behind me. Not that I have given up completely on being crazy: Bought myself a Royal Enfield Bullet 500, one of the last ever produced and so I have been busying myself in that direction for a while. Actually I am now a European Citizen of Spain: Resident Fiscal ! That said currently back up in Germany, avoiding the high summer temperatures.

As for politics etc. there seems to be no point in following what goes on any more. The damage is done and I see no way of things recovering to how it was when life was easy and comfortable. We personally are being utterly selfish and doing all we can to make what's left of our lives enjoyable before people wake up to the reality of what has happened.

I shall still look in from time to time to see how the Stalwarts are battling on, while waving the flag from a distant hill beyond the confusion.

Take care, stay safe and enjoy every day.
john kerwin
Service details: A sqn 14/20th Kings Hussars, 5th Troop and SHQ Troop. 1962 to 1966/7 and 2nd RTR, Benghazi tripoli cyprus perham down and omagh Ni

Post by john kerwin »

Welcome back Bill, you take care on that motor bike.
Most mainland european drivers have very little regard for other road users ( french are the worst ) try finding a car in the south of france without a dent is like finding a needle in a haystack. Same goes for Italy.
Well they do all drive on the wrong side of the road :lol: :D :D