The truth is hard to swallow

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Re: The truth is hard to swallow

Post by Bill Bentley »

Arnie,

I see you are working together with Mick trying to get me qualified to become a politician.

Were I to try and become a poet, with the words that I wrote (copied), I would be guilty of plagiarism and that, it seems, is one of the basic qualifications for getting into politics ;).

Omar Khayyám is without doubt one of my favourite poet philosophers and I hope never to tire from enjoying reading his renditions.

The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám (translated by Edward Fitzgerald) is a masterpiece of understanding life's complex simplicity.
Getting back to our theme, the tent maker wrote:

Tis all a Chequer-board of Nights and Days
Where Destiny with Men for Pieces plays;
Hither and tither moves, and mates, and slays,
And one by one back in the Closet lays.

I should like to make another observation:

With the vast amount of anti-viral cleaning agents being used, to kill the Corona Virus, what do you think will happen ?

Well, in the near future we shall become aware of the additional untold damage that we humans have again caused to nature !
Countless millions of gallons of super strong anti-viral and antic-bacterial agents get washed down the drains every single day and it all lands in the seas and oceans joining the cocktail of Herbicides, fungicides, pesticides and chemical fertilisers used by the farming industry and this is mixed with all of the medication that we humans pass through us into the toilet and so into the seas and oceans.

What do you think that this will do to marine life ?

I predict that just like micro plastics are a danger to human survival, that our upsetting the balance of nature in the oceans will come back to haunt us... well our kids and grand kids.

Tis indeed a bleak picture that I paint, but if people do not wake up soon they shall be guilty of having slept on stag, because it sure as hell is all happening during our watch.
Bill Bentley
Service details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 14/20KH, Hereford, 14/20KH, 2 Para, DLOY - 1990.

Post by Bill Bentley »

Still just trying to put things into perspective:

This is from the WHO: Health and drinking water:

Some 829 000 people are estimated to die each year from diarrhoea as a result of unsafe drinking-water, sanitation, and hand hygiene. Yet diarrhoea is largely preventable, and the deaths of 297 000 children aged under 5 years could be avoided each year if these risk factors were addressed. Where water is not readily available, people may decide handwashing is not a priority, thereby adding to the likelihood of diarrhoea and other diseases.

Diarrhoea is the most widely known disease linked to contaminated food and water but there are other hazards. In 2017, over 220 million people required preventative treatment for schistosomiasis – an acute and chronic disease caused by parasitic worms contracted through exposure to infested water.

Key numbers:
829,000 dead each year.
220 million requiring preventive treatment in 2017 !!!

What world changing measures have been taken to solve this problem ?

Our modern western societies are run by fear and panic, spread by the Press and controlled by Big Pharma.
If you keep taking the pills, all will be well :?.
john kerwin
Service details: A sqn 14/20th Kings Hussars, 5th Troop and SHQ Troop. 1962 to 1966/7 and 2nd RTR, Benghazi tripoli cyprus perham down and omagh Ni

Post by john kerwin »

If the leaders of these countries, would only put the millions into solving the problems, with water and sewage systems. And educate the masses.
Instead of putting it into the swiss banks. And use it as a personal retirement fund.

The corruption, starts at the bottom.

Land in Kenya and you need a small bribe to get through customs. With the Police the price goes up and up the higher up you go. the more you pay.

Africa as a whole (or should that be a Hole) is corrupt. And until other Nations stop letting these corrupt leaders depositing there ill gotten gains into western banks, nothing will change.

Libya in the 60s was awarded vast sums of money to help the people. What happened ??.
King Idris got richer and the army got more weapons, (to keep the people down.)
Foreign Aid should stop. Until Africa get it's act together. But will it ever ??

Rant over.
Pinky
Service details: 1979 JLR RAC. 14/20H then that other regiment. 1979-2003

Post by Pinky »

Howdy,
Got my second vaccine shot today, ready for normalization !!
Doing my bit.....
Pinky
Syd Jones
Service details: Joined the Regiment in June '52 at Haig Lines, Crookham, Hants, initially in to Recce Troop. Regiment moved to Sabratha in November '52, where Recce Troop disbanded. joined 4th. troop 'A' sqdn. later SHQ troop. Demobbed in '54 & transferred to Staffs. Yeomanry, finally discharged in '56.

Post by Syd Jones »

Hi Bill. What we have actually seen in the last twelve months or so, is the panic stricken efforts of a totally unprepared government and Public Health Service, to respond to a new and hitherto unknown disease. No doubt in my mind that in Feb-March of last year doctors had little idea of what treatment to even suggest. PP Equipment could (seemingly) only be obtained from the country of origin of the disease, whether or not the stuff was any good mattered less than that it was seen by the public that something was being done. Panic was virtually encouraged throughout the land and lockdown the only solution.
It surely could not have been anything other than most obvious that in any public health problem, either the very old, or the very young would be most vulnerable. This time it was the old, the sick, the lame and, maybe, the weary. Treatment for any other sickness or disease being put on hold.
Vaccines were touted as the only acceptable solution and perhaps it will prove correct, certainly from the point of view of those in authority. Arses need to be protected! For myself? Too old to fight, these days Bill, jabs offered hope and I was pleased that wifey and I received ours. Whether Public confidence in governmental probity, or even integrity, will ever return is a matter that younger folk will have to decide. Cheers, Syd.
Pinky

Post by Pinky »

Hi there,
From where I sit the UK's efforts have been fantastic, I can only truly compare it to Canada's which IMO was slow to pathetic to start with.
There probably isn't a book that says "What to do if there is a world Pandemic". Easy to complain or criticize but I think under the circumstances the UK Government is amongst the best in the world right now. Brexit and soon to be Covid free - not bad.
Just my tuppense.
Pinky
Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley »

Guys I'm with you all the way !

Syd, for the past 40 years the UK has been under the control / pressure of the EU in one form or another. I fear that our leaders were not allowed to produce PP equipment etc. and store it at home. I think that all essential items should be produced at home and sufficient supplies kept in storage for every foreseeable emergency.

Of course we also need enough hospitals, but we the people also have to again learn to look after ourselves. If we eat crap and drink liquid sugar and get fat and ill, if we smoke and booze and stuff ourselves with a dozen different medicines etc., if we pay to cover ourselves with tattoos and consume 'party drugs' etc., why should somebody else pay for us to be repaired ? Everyone is responsible for their own well being ! The health service is for people who have accidents or become unexpectedly ill. It can not possibly cope with all of the deliberately self inflicted wounds/ illnesses that fools do to themselves. That is unfortunately the current situation :o :o :shock:.

Corruption everywhere is one of the major causes of most problems. That and people breeding like rats :o.

But just look at the shit that Boris Johnson is having to swallow because he has cut the International Aid Fund :shock:.
Why are British taxpayers supporting India, who are so advanced that much of the worlds supply of vaccines and medication is produced there and they can send rockets to Mars ????? I'm with Boris on that for sure !

Also Africa, until their leaders stop nicking the aid we send, we should stop sending it. But we should also look at what we are supporting. Saving a starving kid is all well and good, but when it's the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th or 10th kid to the same mother she should be sterilised to stop her from producing ever more kids who will inevitably grow up starving, become ill and then be homeless, before starting to reproduce for themselves. :?.

We are not allowed to even talk about this reality, it's racist or anti human rights etc., but is breeding kids to starve and be ill the wiser alternative ???
There are some 80,000,000 people 'roaming' looking for a better life, that is what a hundred years of Aid has produced :twisted: :twisted: !!!!

We send Aid to Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria and Iran, which either goes directly to our declared enemies, or what the money builds gets destroyed by the same declared enemies. Stop sending this Aid and you starve the declared enemies of their oxygen !

(Don't ask me to agree with why we are there in the first place, that's another bitch of mine !)

I'm sure that in the Aid Fund we actually send money to China, the USA and Russia. To help support some freak groups of dissidents to rabble rouse in their own countries. Is that valuable Aid ????

Do we not have enough needy people literally 'on the streets' of the UK :?: :!: :!:.

It might seem very noble to give away your coat to a freezing dog but all you will achieve is that the dog will be warmer than you yourself. Only when you yourself are strong and fit can you truly help others, but they MUST then stop following their old ways which got them into trouble in the first place.

And yes, the UK has done rather brilliantly rolling out the vaccine. Germany's efforts have been pathetic compared and Spain is way behind.
(Germany actually closed 20 hospitals and laid off thousands of medical staff ..... during 2020, in the height of the Pandemic !!)

So let us recognise and be proud of what our leaders have done. I do not have to agree with all they do, but they are doing something: showing the world what a free country can do, for itself and for others.
Arnie
Service details: Enlisted in 14th/20th King's Hussars on 2 Feb 1959.
Served Hohne and Rheindahlen 1959 - 1962
Libya 1962 Cyprus with C Sqn Dec 1963 - Feb 1964. Returned to Benghazi
then to Tripoli with B Sqn until Sep 1964. Left for Courses in NBC then to 7 Armoured Brigade till 1967.
Transferred to Intelligence Corps 67. First posting to Northern Ireland 67 - 70.
Singapore 70 - 71, Hong Kong 71 - 72. NI 72 - 74. NITAT (Northern Ireland Training and Advisory Team) 74 - 76. Berlin 76 - 79. Final Posting, Preston Int and Security Section. Stupidly Retired on 1 Feb 81, and emigrated to Australia.

Post by Arnie »

Bill, (am knackered), so hear! hear! Will have to suffice. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Arnie :D :D
Bill Bentley

Post by Bill Bentley »

Arnie old boy,

sure hope it's nothing serious !
Actually I fell off my motorbike a few days ago, trying to follow a goat track up the local mountain. Now nursing bruised/ cracked/ broken ribs yet again :oops: :oops:. Opium didn't help so now I'm on metamizol and that's hardly denting the pain :( . Some people never learn !!
At least we can suffer together :lol: :lol: :lol:

Take it easy buddy !
Pinky

Post by Pinky »

....and my gout is playing up again, left knee this time.
Take care
Pinky