is anyone still alive

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
john kerwin
Service details: A sqn 14/20th Kings Hussars, 5th Troop and SHQ Troop. 1962 to 1966/7 and 2nd RTR, Benghazi tripoli cyprus perham down and omagh Ni

is anyone still alive

Post by john kerwin »

?????????
Pinky
Service details: 1979 JLR RAC. 14/20H then that other regiment. 1979-2003

Re: is anyone still alive

Post by Pinky »

I'm still here......

Pinky
Arnie
Service details: Enlisted in 14th/20th King's Hussars on 2 Feb 1959.
Served Hohne and Rheindahlen 1959 - 1962
Libya 1962 Cyprus with C Sqn Dec 1963 - Feb 1964. Returned to Benghazi
then to Tripoli with B Sqn until Sep 1964. Left for Courses in NBC then to 7 Armoured Brigade till 1967.
Transferred to Intelligence Corps 67. First posting to Northern Ireland 67 - 70.
Singapore 70 - 71, Hong Kong 71 - 72. NI 72 - 74. NITAT (Northern Ireland Training and Advisory Team) 74 - 76. Berlin 76 - 79. Final Posting, Preston Int and Security Section. Stupidly Retired on 1 Feb 81, and emigrated to Australia.

Post by Arnie »

Hi John and Pinky,
for weeks I have been thinking the same.
I would imagine that most Hawks will be engrossed in the Russian Invasion of the Ukraine. What with Putin, Joe (Brandon) and that stupid bitch Greta, Boris and the EU the world is going to 'hell in a basket', a BIG basket.
The Russian Army is proving to be a paper tiger, armed with their super tanks, T90, T82, T72, T62 and those stalwarts we who fought them in the Cold War T55/T56. The rate the Ukrainians are knocking them off, with the aid of the donated weapon systems, they will be taking the OLD Geriatric, the T34 out of mothballs. Mind you the Ivan soldiers don't seem to have their heart in the fight. Wonder if they have become as dejected as GI Joe's were in Vietnam and are resorting to "fragging" their officers (Commanders)??
At least some of humanity is now educated sufficiently to see propaganda for what it is, coming from all points of the compass, as just that, PROPAGANDA.
My twopence worth, for the month.
Stay safe and believe that someone, anyone will keep Vladimir's finger off that 'button'!!!!

Arnie
bodge
Service details: national service 1952 - 1954

Post by bodge »

Still here also.
I have just received my photos back from Calary from a lady is using some for a book and reserch she is doing about the regiment.
Keep safe and well,
Bodge.
Pinky
Service details: 1979 JLR RAC. 14/20H then that other regiment. 1979-2003

Post by Pinky »

Howdy,
Interesting comment Bodge, I'm about an hour and half south of Calgary !!!
Hoping a coup will sort out Putin.
No snow........bonus.
All the best
Pinky
Arnie
then to Tripoli with B Sqn until Sep 1964. Left for Courses in NBC then to 7 Armoured Brigade till 1967.
Transferred to Intelligence Corps 67. First posting to Northern Ireland 67 - 70.
Singapore 70 - 71, Hong Kong 71 - 72. NI 72 - 74. NITAT (Northern Ireland Training and Advisory Team) 74 - 76. Berlin 76 - 79. Final Posting, Preston Int and Security Section. Stupidly Retired on 1 Feb 81, and emigrated to Australia.

Post by Arnie »

Bodge when is the book being published or released? Who is the author and what will be the title?
bodge

Post by bodge »

Hi Arnie,
The authors name i s Lizzie Taylor I do not have any further details but will post them when I do.
Bodge
Syd Jones
Service details: Joined the Regiment in June '52 at Haig Lines, Crookham, Hants, initially in to Recce Troop. Regiment moved to Sabratha in November '52, where Recce Troop disbanded. joined 4th. troop 'A' sqdn. later SHQ troop. Demobbed in '54 & transferred to Staffs. Yeomanry, finally discharged in '56.

Post by Syd Jones »

HI folks. Well I think I'm still here, but you can't be too sure of anything these days. I'm fairly certain the lady referred to, is young Bluebottle, and, funnily enough, I was just thinking of emailing her to ask that very question. "When might the book be published, Bluebell dear?" If I remember rightly, she is the daughter of a sgt.in the R.A. who spent much of her childhood at Homs, in the 1950's. Some years ago, I sent her photos and tales of my times in Libya and the Canal Zone and can vouch that anything you entrust to her keeping will be returned safely and complete. She seems to have an encyclopedic knowledge of units stationed in MELF1 in the postwar years and can recite chapter and verse at the drop of a hat! Good wishes to you Malc. We seem to be the only ones left from the first visit to Sabratha in '52. I 'Googled' it a while ago and the village seems to have grown into a city with a motorway running right through it. Zavia seems to have an oil refinery. Garian almost joins up the other two and I doubt if anyone could find the 'Lady of Garian', or her sisters these days.
Cheers, Syd.
Arnie

Post by Arnie »

Syd, it would be of interest to know if the Garian Lady survived Gaddafi? When he led the coup which overthrew the King in 69 he became very much more anti-colonialist. Wavell Barracks in Benghazi disappeared, as did Da-Osta (?) Barracks. Don't remember where Medenine (?) Barracks were in Tripoli.
We did manage to find some remnants of Wavell Bks early on in the life of Noah's Arc but a study of Google Earth recently produced NO remnants of it today. So I would say he definitely got rid of the Garian Lady. He kept the American, Wheelus Air Base and it is still used by what is left of the current Libyan Air Force.

Arnie ;) ;) ;) ;)
bodge

Post by bodge »

Hi Syd.
You may well be right about that.
I still have my photo of the lady and her sisters but I have lost the one of the third wall.
I cannot remember the name of the mate who took must of the photos do you?
Bodge (Malc.)
You all keep safe and well.